TIPS FOR CONSERVING
- Always establish Sugar content pre-cutting – J.Grennan & Sons provide a full Pre-cutting Grass Testing service.
- Cut at start of grass seed-head emergence. Silage DMD is paramount.
- Try to cut down grass when dry- ideally in the afternoon when grass sugars are at their highest.
- Aim to leave on ground for one night only.
- Condition the mown swath to get maximum airflow through it.
- Aim to wilt grass down to 28 -35% Dry Matter
- For improved dry matter and to aid in the wilting process, consider tedding the grass.
- Do not mow or tedd too low- avoid soil contamination at all costs.
- Use 25 micron wrap film – lighter film will NOT protect your silage adequately.
- Apply a minimum of 4 layers of film at 70% stretch. We recommend 6 layers because you get a noticeable improvement in silage quality- particularly if wrapping high dry matter material.